- Attend a Hartford Public High School continuously since 9th grade
- Be a Hartford resident throughout high school
- Have a 93 % or better cumulative attendance record during high school
- Have a 3.0 cumulative GPA or better on a 4.0 scale in high school
Accomplish these four goals and you become a Promise Scholar!
How to succeed
- Stay above track – reach for a 3.0+ GPA and strive to always be present and engaged in school every day
- Make yourself KNOWN – get involved, become a school leader who is respected and known by teachers and staff members that can support your college dream
- Envision your future! Pursue your vision!
- Reach higher in everything you do and always GIVE. ALL. YOU. CAN.
When will Promise Scholars be identified?
Hartford Public Schools will identify ‘on track’ Promise Scholars based on attendance, residency, and academic record by the end of first semester of senior year . ‘On track’ Promise Scholars must maintain all four qualifications through graduation and:
- Complete and return Promise info packet.
- Submit Proof of Hartford Residency.
- Complete the FAFSA by February 15.
- Promise Scholars must apply for at least 2 additional scholarships.
- Submit choice of college or university and proof of full-time status. Status will be reconfirmed at the end of the Spring semester for continued eligibility.
- Submit any changes to your contact information as they occur. This includes home and school addresses, phone numbers, and emails.
- Official Promise Scholars will be announced in June
What are the on-going responsibilities of Promise Scholars once in college?
- Students must begin using the scholarship within one academic year of high school graduation (ex: if you graduate in June 2016, you must begin using Hartford Promise funds by June 2017)
- College-going Promise Scholars must provide proof of being enrolled in a not-for-profit college or university full-time for the full academic year.
- College-going Promise Scholars must remain in good standing with their college or university as defined by those institutions.
- Provide a Hartford Promise Scholarship transfer form if changing college or university.
Additional requirements being considered:
- Requiring that Promise Scholars be Peer Mentors to rising Promise Scholars
- Requiring that Promise Scholars participate in college bridge & transition program
- Requiring that Promise Scholars participate in annual Promise Scholar Day
Eligible High Schools
- Bulkeley, Teacher Prep & Humanities
- High School, Inc.
- Academy of Engineering & Green Technology at HPHS
- Law and Government Academy at HPHS
- Academy of Nursing & Health Sciences at HPHS
- Culinary Arts Academy at Weaver High School
- Global Communications Academy IB
- Capital Community College Magnet Academy
- Capital Preparatory Magnet
- Classical Magnet
- Great Path Academy Middle College HS
- Pathways Academy of Technology & Design
- Kinsella Magnet School of Performing Arts
- Sport & Medical Sciences Academy
- Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy
- University High School of Science & Engineering
- Journalism & Media Academy Magnet School
- Achievement First High School